Thursday 10 December 2020

"When i first moved to Sweden I hated it so much everything was so different than back home"

 



I grew up in Asmara which is the capital city in Eritrea. My childhood was pretty rough. We weren't so rich but my mom and dad worked hard so I could go to school. I remembered I loved growing up there with my friends and family. After school me and some friends usually went and played basketball or soccer.


 When I turned ten years old my mom, mom, dad and brothers moved to Sweden. It was very different from Eritrea and a lot colder. We moved to Sweden in december so i remembered my first impression was that i was super cold. It was also my first time seeing snow in real life which was very cool. We moved into a small apartment in Rinkeby. I didn't really like moving to sweden at first because of the weather and leaving all my friends but after a while i got used to it and started to get new friends. In the beginning it was very hard to get friends because i didn't speak the language but one day i met this guy named ibrahim. Ibrahim was also from Eritrea so me and him got really close, he also lived in Asmara before he moved. I really liked growing up in rinkeby because it had people from all over the world. That really helped me because it kinda felt like it was a little bit like home. Most people in Rinkeby were also very friendly and accepting of different people which was very nice.


 The time I felt at my worst was actually when I moved to Sweden. When i first moved to Sweden I hated it so much everything was so different than back home. I used to wish every day that my mom would tell me that we were going to move back. My worst memory of Sweden was when i first went to school and i could not talk to anyone because i didn't know the language. I felt so embarrassed and in that moment I just wanted to disappear. Luckily I got help from the extra teachers with learning swedish. I also remembered how hard it was to learn swedish with the weird letters and weird pronunciation. 


One thing that really helped me feel better was to play basketball because then I forgot about everything and only had to focus on getting the ball in the net. But i'm very happy that we moved to sweden now because it opened a lot of doors for me and if i didn't move to sweden i wouldn't coach this team. 


One of my best memories in my life was when I got into medical school. I remembered I got home from work and saw that I got into the school. I got so happy and almost started crying, I called my mom and nearly screamed that i got into the school. She started crying and told me she was super proud of me. It felt so amazing to finally get rewarded for all of my hard work but i still knew there was a lot more work ahead of me. The thing that felt the best was that I made my dad and mom proud. 


I also love to coach this team because it gives me joy seeing other kids learning and playing the game I love. I actually got into coaching because my friend told me that I should start coaching some kids. I thought it was a good idea because it would be a great side job when I went to medical school.  My plan was first to only coach for about a year but when that year was up i couldn't stop coaching this team so my new plan now is to coach this team until they are adults. By then I should be done with medical school and hopefully be a doctor. I will miss coaching but i think i will love being a doctor 

No comments:

Post a Comment

“The doctors didn’t know if my body would recover from the accident due to all the damage my brain took"

“When I was about 20 years old, something traumatic happened to me. I was out with my friends in the evening. Suddenly, I went towards a ped...